Thursday, June 24, 2010

June 23rd, 2010

I ate a tuna sandwich this morning, and the last of my granola bars. Bye food! I ended up spending two dollars on the bus today, because I would have been late if I didn't take it. I almost missed the bus too, and then I would have had to spend the 10-odd dollars I've saved up on a cab ride. I'm finding that I'm a VERY disorganized person, and that I am going to have to seriously shape up if I plan on not screwing this up!

Anyway, I got my tea and an apple from home and I brought it to work. I walked to McDonalds, and got a McDouble off of their dollar menu. It came to $1.10 (with tax). Saving money isn't always about avoiding eating out; you can also mix food from home with fast food. I had a burger, sweet tea and an apple and it only cost me a dollar. If I had gotten the meal, it would have cost me somewhere around eight dollars. Amazing!

I survived lunch without killing my budget, but I knew that I was out of a lot of stuff at home. I ate my tuna, apple, and two granola bars. The Jambalaya was history. It was time to go to SAFEWAY!!!!!!!

Safeway rules because they have a club card. You can actually save a great amount of money if you look for the deals. I knew exactly what I wanted to buy tonight: Eggs and Peanut butter. I ended up saving 47% on the final price of my total cost because of that club card. Rockin'! These are great sources of protein and calories for their price. My work doesn't have a fridge so anything with peanut butter will keep in it, and I can use eggs to make ALL SORTS of things!

I took pictures with my camera phone at the store, and when I came home I took a picture of my camera phone picture (I'm too dumb to download image off of my phone at the moment). Then I took a picture of what I bought and brought the picture of the picture of the phone picture into it. It's like a turducken of tech shame.

Remember, we've been saving up for the last two days...


There were three options for my eggs. $1.49 for a half dozen, $1.99 for one dozen, and $4.99 for 18, but it was buy one get one free! THOSE ARE RELEVANT TO OUR INTEREST! It is wise to get a good bargain on a basic food like flour or eggs, because you can use them to make many different things. 1.49/6 =25 cents. 1.99/12 = 17 cents. 4.99/36 = 14 cents. Would you like to spend fourteen cents per egg, or a quarter? THOUGHT SO! I bought the 4.99 2-pack.


Now to my Peanut butter. Peanut butter rules because you don't have to refrigerate it, it lasts a long time, it's good for you and you can put it on a lot of fruits and vegetables to make them more substantial. This goes a long way. I got lucky and saw a sale for Peanut butter for $2.99, slashed to $2.29, and slashed again for $1.49. It was like a third of the price of most of the other peanut butters, and it was just as good.

So guys, we spent more than five dollars today. We saved up for our little shopping trip from our previous $5 days, but it will stretch us for quite some time. For instance, Let's consider that I would eat two eggs a day in either deviled form (4 egg halves), scrambled for breakfast or lunch or better yet, made into some bread. You can also "health up" ramen very well with eggs. Two a day will be a significant portion of a meal for about eighteen days - roughly a half a month's worth of eggs. I'll probably eat it faster though. :D





By the way, one of my roommates Don is diabetic so he gave me his canned fruit. Added to the pantry is Spaghetti sauce, two cans of pear slices, and pineapple topping. SCORE! (the cartoon is a happy stomach, fyi.) Also, he has cereal called "Crispy Hexagons." LOL.



rofl

+$5.00
$11.60
_____
$16.60

bus- $2.00
McDonalds - $1.10
eggs - $4.99
peanut butter - $1.99
=
$10.08

$16.60
-$10.08
_______

$6.52

One more thing...shoutout to the lady at the store who I wrote my blog down for! You know who you are! <3

2 comments: